Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Digital Divide

In one of my other classes I heard the phrase "digital divide" for the first time and I have decided to dedicate this blog to the exploration of those two words. I read a few informal internet articles (primarily the wonderful Wikipedia) and got a general, and very basic, idea that the digital divide is the gap between those who have unlimited access to and use of technology and those who do not; or those who for some reason have either physically limited access to certain forms of technology or do not have the skill to fully utilize the technology they do have access to. While I haven't exactly narrowed down what I plan to specifically focus for my final project on this topic, I know I want most of my energy to go towards understanding the digital divide’s role in our Education System. That being said, I will be focusing on the digital divide as a national topic as opposed to a global concern. As I get better acquainted with the digital divide and the essays, arguments, and perspectives regarding it, I plan to further narrow down this broad topic. I also know I need to continuously think about ways to relate the current issues regarding the digital divide to other hot topics regarding our nation’s troubled Education System. Through the progression of this blog, I hope to gain an understanding of the digital divide, explore ways to overcome the divide within the classroom, and define the digital divide in relationship to other issues and concerns in Education.

The digital divide is a new topic for me and I clearly have a lot of questions I need to answer! While I research this topic I plan to use this blog as a tool to help me sort through the information I gather as I prepare to finalize an argument regarding the digital divide.

No comments:

Post a Comment